If retirement is just around the corner, it may be time to compile a home remodeling checklist. Especially if you plan on staying in your existing home and aging in place. There are many things to consider to prepare your home for your golden years. Your renovation projects can improve functionality of your home while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
The home remodeling checklist below is a great start and includes many key elements of your home which may need attention. Many of which you may not have not considered to this point. You should take a survey of your own home and expand on this list to suit your specific needs. Be sure to incorporate these details on your next remodeling project:
- Plant low maintenance shrubs and plants
- Build patios and decks within ½” of the interior floor level for easy access
- Use low maintenance building materials such as vinyl siding and brick to avoid ongoing painting
- Hallways should be a minimum of 36” wide and well-lit
- Construct a clear path to the entry door of the home. At least one entry should be step-free
- Install a 36” entry door with a minimum 32” clear opening.
- Install no-slip flooring in your foyer
- Select windows that are taller which will have a lower sill height
- Install an adequate number of windows to allow an abundance of natural light into your home
- Choose windows constructed of low maintenance materials such as vinyl
- Purchase window hardware that is over-sized and easy to operate
Kitchen & Laundry
- Construct a wheel-chair accessible bath on the main floor. Be sure to include a clear floor area of a minimum of 48” x 36” as a turnaround space.
- Install grab bars in the tub area and adjacent to the toilet.
- Add a shower seat
- Convert your toilet to a Bidet with a Spaloo Bidet
- Install a shower light
- Install slip-resistant flooring in the bathroom
- The garage door may need to be taller to accommodate a raised roof van. Consider a 9 FT high door.
- The garage itself should be wider to provide a 5 FT clearance adjacent to an accessible van.
One of the more important, and easiest to install upgrades on your home remodeling checklist for aging in place is the Spaloo Bidet: